More notes on OpenSolaris image-update, to b93 (in my case from b91)
See this thread http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=258127𿁏 discussing the problem and it's solution.
Performing the standard image-update failed with an error of the form:
> pkg: attempt to mount opensolaris-3 failed.
> pkg: image-update cannot be done on live image
The problem is caused by:
2387 libbe.so:beCopy() frees nvlist variables before using them
So, time to find a work around. This wasn't as seamless as perhaps it should have been, this is how I did it:
> my active BE was opensolaris-3, which I was booted in
#pfexec pkg refresh
create a temp BE
#pfexec beadm create opensolaris-4
mount it as /mnt
#pfexec mount -F zfs rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-4 /mnt
#pfexec pkg -R /mnt image-update
#pfexec beadm unmount opensolaris-4
#pfexec beadm activate opensolaris-4
reboot into BE opensolaris-4 build 93
Note: b92 was skipped (not released)!
Also, this failed _every time_ when attempting it from desktop terminal (graphical login) - but worked as soon as I did the same thing from an ssh terminal!
Blog for installing / configuring mysql as service using gui http://weblogs.java.net/blog/bleonard/archive/2008/06/opensolaris_200_3.html
BE_PRINT_ERR=true can be used to output diagnostic error logs from the be process,
BE_PRINT_ERR=true beadm create test